3 lb lean beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 ground pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil
4 small onions, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 can (1lb, 12oz) crushed tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup water
8 small potatoes, peeled, cut in half
3 zucchinis, cut into 1/2 inch slices
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1. Wipe meat with damp paper towels. On waxed paper, combine flour with salt and pepper. Roll beef cubes in flour mixture to coat.
2. Saute beef in 4 tablespoons oil until well browned on all sides (about 25 minutes). Removed as brown.
3. Saute whole onions until golden brown.
4. Add remaining oil, dried thyme leaves, crushed red pepper, crushed tomatoes, bouillon cubes, wine, water and browned beef.
5. Bring to boiling; cover, simmer low to medium heat for about 2 hours or until meat is tender. The last hour of cooking, add potatoes, zucchini and carrots. Cook until meat and vegetables are tender.
6. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
YIELDS: 8 servings